Ready to use resources to bring mitosis to life for your students!
Students will consider what mitosis is and why it happens, before looking at the four phases in turn, creating diagrams and describing the events occurring in the cell. They’ll take a look at photos of real cells undergoing mitosis and calculate mitotic index. A video will take them through this skill, which combines Math and Science! Once students have completed the slides, the Doodle Notes are a perfect review activity, for homework or as test prep! Plus, a self-grading Google Forms Quiz lets you quickly assess student progress.
All answers are included, along with handy teacher guides so you know how to use these activities in your classroom.
My Mitosis Bundle includes:
Student Google Slides Activities: 17 slides of engaging activities in three versions, including:
highlighting info about mitosis
building diagrams and describing them
identifying stages of mitosis from real cell photos
calculating mitotic index
Answer Slides: animated for going through with the whole class, or you can set them on Google Classroom for students to check and correct their own work
Google Forms Quiz: a self-grading 15 point quiz (10 questions) to let you easily check student progress, including three images to support some of the questions
Doodle Notes: 2 pages of engaging Doodle Notes in the following versions:
- Open response version – to challenge your students
- Scaffolded fill-in-the-blanks version – to support your students
- Blank mitosis diagrams – for students who love drawing
- Color versions – assign digitally with a PDF mark-up tool, e.g. Kami
Teacher guidance: how to assign and use each resource
The purpose and outcome of mitosis
Phases of mitosis: Prophase, Metaphase, Anaphase, Telophase
The difference between the terms “chromosome” and “chromatid”
Calculation of mitotic index of tissues (a custom video* is included to teach this)
*The video is hosted on YouTube – please check that YouTube is enabled by your school/district.
How do I use this bundle of resources?
- After checkout, you can immediately download your resources
- You’ll click the links in the PDF to make copies of the Google Slides and Quiz for your own Google Drive
- Simply assign these to your students on Google Classroom
- You’ll open the Doodle Notes ZIP file to see all of the versions of the Doodle Notes
- Pick which version you want students to complete and print one set for each student
And that’s it – your lesson prep is done!
Please note: This resource is a digital download – no physical product will be shipped. To assign the Google Slides and Quiz, you need a Google Classroom. Your students need their own device and an internet connection. Most clipart and questions are secured and cannot be edited. The answers can be edited. My Doodle Notes are secure PDF files and are not editable. Doodle Notes is a trademarked term used with permission. Please visit doodlenotes.org for more info.
Work-life balance – what is that again?! Let me help you with my ready to use biology resources and enjoy having a life outside of school.