Phylogenetic Trees Bundle
Looking for ready to use resources? Grab my time-saving phylogenetic trees lesson now – engaging Google Slides activities, fun Doodle Notes and a self-grading Google Forms Quiz. Simply assign and print and you are done!
Trying to plan your phylogenetic trees lesson? Give yourself a break and let me do it for you.
These are ready to use, low prep resources. The Google Slides use real life examples to bring these evolutionary trees to life, with interactive activities. Step-by-step guidance shows students how to read and interpret the trees. Follow-up activities check understanding through drag and drop pieces, questions, and even creating their very own phylogenetic tree!
Once students have completed the slides, the Doodle Notes are a wonderful review. Students love using Doodle Notes! You can also use them for sub plans, homework assignments, or test prep.
Then you can assign the Google Forms Quiz to easily assess student progress. It is self-grading, so there is no extra work for you!
All answers are included, along with handy teacher guides so you know how to use these activities in your classroom.
My Phylogenetic Trees Lesson Bundle includes:
- Student Google Slides Activities: 20 slides of engaging activities, including an introductory passage of text to highlight key parts of, step-by-step skills and tasks on a generic tree, three real-life trees with interactive tasks, creating a phylogenetic tree – plus more!
- Answer Slides: animated for going through with the whole class, or you can set them on Google Classroom for students to check and correct their own work
- Google Forms Quiz: a self-grading 15 point quiz to let you easily check student progress. Three phylogenetic tree images are used to support some questions
- Doodle Notes: 2 pages of engaging Doodle Notes, perfect for reviewing content – there are 4 versions, including scaffolded and color versions, plus a completed example & answer key presentation
- Teacher Guidance: how to assign and use each resource
- Terminology – phylogenetic tree / evolutionary tree / cladogram
- What phylogenetic trees can show us
- The parts of phylogenetic trees: clades, nodes, branches, common ancestors, taxa
- How to read and analyze a phylogenetic tree
- How to create a phylogenetic tree using derived traits
How do I use this bundle of resources?
- After checkout, you can immediately download your resources
- You’ll click the links in the PDF to make copies of the Google Slides and Quiz for your own Google Drive
- Simply assign these to your students on Google Classroom
- You’ll open the Doodle Notes ZIP file to see all of the versions of the Doodle Notes
- Pick which version you want students to complete and print one set for each student
And that’s it – your lesson prep is done!
Please note: This resource is a digital download – no physical product will be shipped. To assign the Google Slides and Quiz, you need a Google Classroom. Your students need their own device and an internet connection. There is a link to a YouTube video – please ensure YouTube is not restricted by your school. Most clipart and questions are secured and cannot be edited. The answers can be edited. My Doodle Notes are secure PDF files and are not editable. Doodle Notes is a trademarked term used with permission. Please visit doodlenotes.org for more info.
Work-life balance – what is that again?! Let me help you with my ready to use biology resources and enjoy having a life outside of school.