Let your students work out the effects of mutations themselves, by building their own mutated DNA and mRNA strands and then working out how the amino acids are affected. This is a great way to embed deep understanding of mutations and the effects they have on proteins. These Google Slides activities are clearly explained, with follow-up tasks like true or false and matching chromosomal mutations to pictures of these.
There are answer slides and a self-grading Google Forms Quiz for you to easily check student progress.
- DNA mutations: substitution, insertion and deletion
- Effects of mutations: silent mutations, nonsense mutations, missense mutations and frameshift mutations – *see note below
- Chromosomal mutations: aneuploidy, translocation, duplication, inversion and deletion
My Mutations Google Slides Activities and Quiz includes:
- Student Google Slides Activities: 17 slides of challenging activities, including:
- a passage of text to highlight key information
- drag and drop to build mutated DNA and mRNA strands
- using a codon chart to work out the impact on amino acids
- true or false statements,
- a chromosomal mutations word fill (two versions for differentiation)
- and more!
- Answer Slides: animated for going through with the whole class, or you can set them on Google Classroom for students to check and correct their own work
- Google Forms Quiz: a self-grading 10 point quiz to let you easily check student progress, including images to support some of the questions
- Teacher Guidance: how to assign and use this resource
How do I use the Google Slides and Quiz?
- After checkout, you can immediately download your resource
- Then you’ll click the links in the PDF to make copies for your own Google Drive
- Next, simply assign the slides and quiz to your students on Google Classroom
And your lesson prep is done, easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy!
Would you love some Doodle Notes to review this lesson? You can get them for just $2 extra in my Mutations Bundle.
Please note: You will need a Google Classroom set up for your students and each student will need their own device and an internet connection to access the Google Slides and Quiz. Most clipart and questions are secured and cannot be edited. The answers can be edited.
You’re tired, stressed and have lesson prep to do for tomorrow. You deserve a break. Get this ready-to-use lesson and take the evening off for yourself.