DNA Big Unit Bundle
You deserve a break from lesson planning – my DNA unit is here for you! It is packed with ready to use resources that are rigorous & fun for your students to complete. Download now and take your time back.
Get extra savings with my big bundle for the DNA Unit. Packed with engaging activities for Google Slides, fun Doodle Notes and Google Forms Quizzes to check progress, this bundle is an amazing addition to any curriculum.
Your students will LOVE the interactive nature of the Google Slides. The activities are varied and explained clearly, so students can work through them independently. All slides are custom illustrated so that the concepts shown are suitable for high school students. And you can choose how to assign the slides to students – as individual lessons, or you can use the whole unit digital interactive notebook.
Once students have completed their Google Slides, the Doodle Notes are a perfect review. These come in multiple versions, so you can easily differentiate for your students and grade levels. And to prep, all you need to do is print a class set of the notes!
Every lesson comes with a Google Forms Quiz to check student progress – these are self-grading, so there is no extra work for you.
My DNA Big Unit Bundle includes:
- Student Google Slides Activities: engaging and interactive activities for every lesson – these are provided as both individual lessons (for teachers who wish to assign lessons one-by-one) or as a whole digital INB (for teachers who wish to assign the whole unit in one notebook) – choose the format that works best for you and your students
- Answers: animated for going through with the whole class, or you can set them on Google Classroom for students to check and correct their own work
- Google Forms Quizzes: 5 self-grading quizzes to let you easily check student progress. Questions are supported by images where suitable.
- Doodle Notes: in multiple versions for easy differentiation:
Open response versions – to challenge your students
Scaffolded fill-in-the-blank versions – to support your students
Black and white versions – perfect for coloring in
Colored versions – assign digitally with a PDF mark-up tool, e.g. Kami
- Plus, there is a completed example to model the notes for students, and to let them check their answers
- Teacher Guidance: how to assign and use these resources in your classroom
- The Structure of DNA: Location & structure of DNA – components of a nucleotide, complementary base pairs, bonding, double helix, DNA studies and discoveries – Miescher, Levene, Chargaff, Watson & Crick (mention of Franklin but not covered in depth), Application of Chargaff’s rule
- DNA Replication: Why DNA replication happens, the process of DNA replication – enzymes and molecules included: helicase, topoisomerase, single-stranded binding proteins, RNA primase, primers, DNA polymerase, exonuclease, ligase. (note that I have structured the slides so that you can delete any stages and labels for enzymes that aren’t required for your curriculum), why DNA replication is semi-conservative
- Protein Synthesis: Structure of RNA, comparison of RNA to DNA, what protein synthesis is and why it is important, the process of protein synthesis: transcription and translation, using mRNA codon charts to work out amino acids
- Mutations: DNA mutations: substitution, insertion and deletions. Effects of mutations: silent mutations, nonsense mutations, missense mutations. Chromosomal mutations: aneuploidy, translocation, duplication, inversion and deletion
- Regulation of Gene Expression: What it is and why it is important, mechanisms of regulating gene expression: transcription factors, DNA methylation, histone acetylation, operons – with the example of the lac operon, interfering RNA.
How do I use this bundle of resources?
- After checkout, you can immediately download your resources
- You’ll click the links in the PDFs to make copies of the Google Slides and Quizzes for your own Google Drive
- Simply assign these to your students on Google Classroom
- You’ll open the Doodle Notes ZIP files to see all of the versions of the Doodle Notes
- Pick which versions you want students to complete and print one set for each student
And that’s it – your lessons are prepped!
Please note: These resources are digital downloads – no physical products will be shipped. To assign the Google Slides and Quiz, you need a Google Classroom. Your students need their own device and an internet connection. Most clipart and questions are secured and cannot be edited. The answers can be edited. There are some links to YouTube – please check YouTube is not restricted by your school. My Doodle Notes are secure PDF files and are not editable. Doodle Notes is a trademarked term used with permission. Please visit doodlenotes.org for more info.
Teachers spend too much time outside of school planning lessons. Take back your free time with this ready-to-use unit of lessons.