Looking for a mutations lesson? This ready-to-use bundle is just what you need – engaging Google Slides, illustrated Doodle Notes and a self-grading Google Forms Quiz! Take a look and download today.
An engaging and ready-to-use mutations lesson, this bundle will save you oodles of time!
Your students will love dragging and dropping to build mutated DNA and mRNA – this embeds deep understanding of how mutations impact proteins. Once students have completed the Google Slides, the Doodle Notes make a wonderful review – just print a class set. Custom graphics bring the mutations to life and help students visualize their effects! Finally, assign the Google Forms Quiz to check student progress. It is self-grading so there is NO extra work for you.
- Student Google Slides Activities: 17 slides of challenging activities – a passage of text to highlight key information, drag and drop to build mutated DNA and mRNA strands, using a codon chart to work out the impact on amino acids, true or false, chromosomal mutations wordfill (two versions for differentiation) and more!
- Answers: animated for going through with the whole class, or you can set them on Google Classroom for students to check and correct their own work
- Google Forms Quiz: a self-grading 10 point quiz to let you easily check student progress, including images to support some of the questions
- Doodle Notes: 4 pages of engaging Doodle Notes, perfect for reviewing content – there are 4 versions, including scaffolded and color versions, plus a completed example
- Teacher Guidance: how to assign and use each resource
- DNA mutations: substitution, insertion and deletion
- Effects of mutations: silent mutations, nonsense mutations, missense mutations and frameshift mutations *see note below
- Chromosomal mutations: aneuploidy, translocation, duplication, inversion and deletion
*Please note: Your students must have covered protein synthesis (transcription and translation) to be able to access and understand this lesson – if you haven’t covered this yet, you can
How do I use this bundle of resources?
- After checkout, you can immediately download your resources
- You’ll click the links in the PDF to make copies of the Google Slides and Quiz for your own Google Drive
- Simply assign these to your students on Google Classroom
- You’ll open the Doodle Notes ZIP file to see all of the versions of the Doodle Notes
- Pick which version you want students to complete and print one set for each student
And that’s it – your lesson prep is done!
Please note: This resource is a digital download – no physical product will be shipped. To assign the Google Slides and Quiz, you need a Google Classroom. Your students need their own device and an internet connection. Most clipart and questions are secured and cannot be edited. The answers can be edited. My Doodle Notes are secure PDF files and are not editable. Doodle Notes is a trademarked term used with permission. Please visit doodlenotes.org for more info.
Work-life balance – what is that again? Let me help you with my ready to use biology resources and enjoy having a life outside of school.