Regulation of Gene Expression Google Slides
Regulation of Gene Expression is a pretty hard lesson for students to understand. These ready to use Google Slides activities will help students work through each mechanism, with fun tasks and clear pictures! Take a look and download instantly.
Bright and visually stimulating, these Google Slides activities will help your students understand the regulation of gene expression!
5 mechanisms are covered one-by-one, including transcription factors, DNA methylation, histone acetylation, operons and interfering RNA. For each one, students are given a piece of text to read and highlight – they then apply their learning by labelling a fun diagram that illustrates the process, before summarizing it in their own words below. They’ll also drag and drop a lightbulb to indicate if the gene has been switched on or switched off!
There is an intro activity to check understanding of protein synthesis & a summary activity to recap the regulation of gene expression. This lesson would also work as a review for AP Biology – Gene Expression & Regulation.
Animated answer slides are included for you, and there is a Google Forms Quiz to easily check student progress. It’s self-grading, so there is no extra work for you.
- What gene expression is and why it is important
- Mechanisms of regulating gene expression:
- Transcription factors
- DNA methylation
- Histone acetylation
- Operons – with the example of the lac operon
- Interfering RNA
*Please note that students should have a good understanding of the process of protein synthesis (transcription and translation) and knowledge of DNA’s structure before doing this lesson. If you haven’t covered these yet, check out my protein synthesis Google Slides and my structure of DNA Google Slides here.
My Regulation of Gene Expression Google Slides Activities and Quiz includes:
- Student Google Slides Activities: 24 slides of engaging activities, including:
- intro questions and diagram to recap protein synthesis
- video on the importance of regulation of gene expression*
- reading and highlighting information
- labelling illustrated diagrams
- determining impact of mechanisms on gene expression
- plus more!
- Answers: animated for going through with the whole class, or you can set them on Google Classroom for students to check and correct their own work
- Google Forms Quiz: a self-grading 10 point quiz to let you easily check student progress, including an image to support some of the questions
- Teacher Guidance: how to assign and use this resource
How do I use the Google Slides and Quiz?
- After checkout, you can immediately download your resource
- Then you’ll click the links in the PDF to make copies for your own Google Drive
- Next, simply assign the slides and quiz to your students on Google Classroom
Et voilà, your lesson prep is done!
Would you love some Doodle Notes to review this lesson? You can get them for just $2 extra in my Regulation of Gene Expression Bundle.
Please note: You will need a Google Classroom set up for your students and each student will need their own device and an internet connection to access the Google Slides and Quiz. *The video is hosted on YouTube – please check that YouTube is enabled by your school/district. Most clipart and questions are secured and cannot be edited. The answers can be edited.
Is it Friday yet? Get this ready-to-use lesson and make your week a little bit easier!