Biochemistry and Macromolecules Big Unit Bundle
Low prep resources to bring your biochemistry and macromolecules unit to life!
Your students will LOVE these interactive Google Slides – they are packed with fun activities and are bright and engaging. Tasks include drag and drop to build a nucleotide, labeling lipids, a summary crossword, and more! Technical tips are included in the slides, so you can focus on teaching. The slides are custom illustrated so that the concepts shown are suitable for high school students. And you can choose how to assign the slides – as individual lessons, or you can use the whole unit digital interactive notebook.
Once students have completed the Google Slides, the Doodle Notes are a perfect review. These come in multiple versions, so you can easily differentiate for your students and grade levels. And to prep, all you need to do is print a class set of the notes!
Every lesson comes with a Google Forms Quiz to check student progress – these are self-grading, so there is no extra work for you.
My Biochemistry and Macromolecules Big Unit Bundle includes:
- Student Google Slides Activities: engaging and interactive activities for every lesson – these are provided as both individual lessons (for teachers who wish to assign lessons one-by-one) or as a whole digital interactive notebook (for teachers who wish to assign the whole unit in one notebook) – choose the format that works best for you and your students
- Answer Slides: animated for going through with the whole class, or you can set them on Google Classroom for students to check and correct their own work
- Google Forms Quizzes: 7 self-grading quizzes to let you easily check student progress. Questions are supported by images where suitable
- Doodle Notes: in multiple versions for easy differentiation:
Open response versions – to challenge your students
Scaffolded fill-in-the-blank versions – to support your students
Black and white versions – perfect for coloring in
Colored versions – assign digitally with a PDF mark-up tool, e.g. Kami
- Teacher Guidance: how to assign and use these resources in your classroom
- Chemistry of Life – Basic Chemistry Review: structure of an atom, elements, compounds and mixtures, covalent and ionic bonding with examples, organic molecules / macromolecules introduction – importance of carbon, functional groups – names, structures, formula and properties
- Carbohydrates: function of carbohydrates, monomers and polymers, monosaccharides, disaccharides, polysaccharides – linking structure to function, dehydration synthesis and hydrolysis reactions, isomers
- Lipids: fatty acids – structure, functional groups, saturated vs unsaturated, cis and trans fatty acids, Triglycerides – formation by condensation reaction, structure and function in the body, Phospholipids – structure and function in cells – brief look at the function of the cell membrane, Waxes and steroids – structure and function – examples of each, Cholesterol (a steroid) – LDL and HDL cholesterol, effect of too much cholesterol on diseases
- Proteins: amino acids – molecular structure and functional groups, essential amino acids, primary, secondary, tertiary and quaternary protein structure, functions and examples of proteins, protein misfolding/prions – impact of this on disease
- Nucleic Acids: molecular structure of nucleotides, comparison of ribose and deoxyribose sugars, and simplified diagrams, structure of DNA and RNA – purines and pyrimidines, bonds involved, base pairing rules, functions of DNA and RNA
- Properties of Water: structure of water – elements, bonding, molecular structure, properties of water and importance of each one to living things. Including: polarity, solvent, cohesion, adhesion, density, high specific heat capacity, high latent heat of vaporization
- Enzymes: their role as a biological catalyst, activation energy graph, denaturation: causes and impact on enzyme action, lock and key and induced fit models of enzyme action, environmental factors that impact enzyme function. Including: pH, temperature, substrate concentration, enzyme concentration, competitive and non-competitive inhibitors, cofactors and coenzymes
- *BUNDLE EXCLUSIVE* Macromolecule summary slides: the whole unit digital interactive notebook has bonus slides to summarize and compare the four key macromolecules. These include a drag & drop comparison table and a summary crossword puzzle!
How do I use this bundle of resources?
- After checkout, you can immediately download your resources
- You’ll click the links in the PDFs to make copies of the Google Slides and Quizzes for your own Google Drive
- Simply assign these to your students on Google Classroom
- You’ll open the Doodle Notes ZIP files to see all of the versions of the Doodle Notes
- Pick which versions you want students to complete and print one set for each student
And that’s it – your lessons are prepped!
Please note: These resources are digital downloads – no physical products will be shipped. To assign the Google Slides and Quiz, you need a Google Classroom. Your students need their own device and an internet connection. Most clipart and questions are secured and cannot be edited. The answers can be edited. There are some links to YouTube – please check YouTube is not restricted by your school. My Doodle Notes are secure PDF files and are not editable. Doodle Notes is a trademarked term used with permission. Please visit doodlenotes.org for more info.
Work-life balance – what is that again? Let me help you with my ready to use biology resources and enjoy having a life outside of school.